Topic

17.3" Portable Screen Mounted On Dash Legal In Ontario, Canada?

Author: rev

rev

17.3" Portable Screen Mounted On Dash Legal In Ontario, Canada?

Unread post by rev »

Hi OTA,

I've mounted a 17.3" iperfect IPS portable monitor which runs samsung dex when connected to the phone (desktop version of android). When driving I diplay GPS info for various apps, uber, lyft, doordash, etc. I navigate the screen with a mouse when safe to.

Is this setup legal in Ontario, Canada? Or is it up to the Police if a ticket will be issued (distracted driving)? I had a cop eye my setup on Yonge street when driving along my car, at the time I was running serveral GPS apps on screen at the same time. She exited Yonge street and got onto the highway ramp. But I don't need a serious ticket if this is indeed illegal, but from my understanding a screen can be used to display GPS info

Here is a pic of the setup. https://pixey.org/p/razz/728003139326814333. Not the best, but was moving at the time.

Highway Traffic Act

Section 78 of the Highway Traffic Act is repealed and the following substituted:

Display screen visible to driver prohibited

78. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway if the display screen of a television, computer or other device in the motor vehicle is visible to the driver.

Exceptions

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of the display screen of,

(a) a global positioning system navigation device while being used to provide navigation information;

(b) a hand-held wireless communication device or a device that is prescribed for the purpose of subsection 78.1 (1);

(c) a logistical transportation tracking system device used for commercial purposes to track vehicle location, driver status or the delivery of packages or other goods;

(d) a collision avoidance system device that has no other function than to deliver a collision avoidance system; or

(e) an instrument, gauge or system that is used to provide information to the driver regarding the status of various systems of the motor vehicle.

Cheers,

rev

highwaystar

Posting Awards

Re: 17.3" Portable Screen Mounted On Dash Legal In Ontario, Canada?

Unread post by highwaystar »

Yes, its illegal. The monitor is connected to the phone; it is not part of a stand alone GPS unit. The fact that you are using a phone as the CPU to display information on to the screen illustrates its function. Its irrelevant what apps you decide to put on to the screen; the fact of the matter is that its not a global positioning system navigation device. Moreover, you can't use a mouse while driving.